Friday, April 20, 2012

A mani of firsts

When I started painting my nails the other day I had no idea what I was going to do with them.  I grabbed OPI I Don't Give A Rotterdam! because when I first got it I was kinda blah about it, but then I realized that it's close to Zoya Skylar & I really like that color (in the bottle at least, I haven't tried it yet).
2 coats OPI I Don't Give A Rotterdam! over 1 coat Sally Hansen Double Duty Strengthening Base & Top Coat 
I actually really love this color.  It's a dusty blue (gray-blue) with silver shimmer.  It's been a bit rainy & cold here so this color was perfect.
Last night while watching a movie with my boyfriend & son (who turned 9 yesterday!) I decided to try & do a half moon mani (my first).  I used the reinforcement stickers cut in half to "tape off" the "moon" portion & then sponged (for the first time) Sinful Colors Grecian Sun on the rest of the nail.  I showed my boyfriend & he said he couldn't tell what I'd done (men!) so I added some dots in Zoya Trixie (this is one of my top 3 Zoyas) & also added a "tip" in Trixie to my middle nail just to see if I could with my dotting tools (I have an idea for a future mani & wanted to see if it'd work that way).  I like how it turned out even if it is subtle (I'll probably do this again using colors that aren't so close).
Half moons with sponged color & dots
This morning I decided to try & use my new stamping plates (that I *had* to get for the turtle stamp) & add a couple stamps to my nails.  My first try didn't get rid of enough of the excess polish & the stamp didn't turn out the best, but my second try (on my pinkie) was a lot better:
stamp from plate SE20 from the Salon Express stamping kit
Salon Express stamping kit
I need to stamp more so I can one day do a full mani, I just always think I'm going to ruin a good mani w/ crappy stamping, lol.
Here's all the polishes I used:
Sally Hansen Double Duty Strengthening Base & Top Coat, OPI I Don't Give A Rotterdam!, Sinful Colors Grecian Sun, Zoya Trixie, white stamping polish 
My mani of firsts--using I Don't Give A Rotterdam!, Grecian Sun, white stamping polish, Salon Express stamping kit, half moon mani & sponging!  Hope you like it, I actually like it a lot more than I thought I would!

1 comment:

  1. Cute mani! I know how you feel about the stamping.. mines seem to come out so crooked and smudged lol

    ReplyDelete